5/16/2008

A score of zero (as in tennis)


I am a nerd. I love to look up the meaning of words in the dictionary. You’ll see me do that a lot in my blog.

So I looked up the meaning of love and it is listed as a noun, which if you really know love..Especially being a parent, love IS a verb.Now what threw me for a loop was besides the “warm attachment”, and “unselfish and loyal benevolent concern for another” blah blah blah, that was listed there was another description “a score of zero (as in tennis)”.

My lack of coffee attributed to my thoughts of wonder. I thought “How cool, it’s like the bible, love does not keep a list of wrongs…thus, love does not keep score…so the score between two people, would then be…zero, the way it should be when you love another person."

Then I had the “Ah Ha” moment of of…damn ….it’s really about tennis…I

n a perfect world we could have sent help to Myanmar faster than what was allowed, out of another countries fear of the unknown..but love from aid groups around the world are trying to get visas to get in the country, not because it is politically or apolitically correct, but because it is the right thing to do, it is love..love as a verb and empathy for another human being that you do not even know but in tears feel connected with. I feel the “warm attachment and the unselfish and loyal benevolent concern for another”In the perfect world…between countries, for the human race, the score would be zero…the ultimate sacrifice to not compete, but to live and thrive amongst each other in the same planet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully written, heidi! i love this statement of yours:
I feel the “warm attachment and the unselfish and loyal benevolent concern for another”In the perfect world…between countries, for the human race, the score would be zero…the ultimate sacrifice to not compete, but to live and thrive amongst each other in the same planet.

the english language appears to be rather inadequate in describing different kinds love. why have just one word to describe such an emotion?

but i love your zero score analogy. it's not about tit for tat .. keeping score ..
which many relationships are unfortunately based on..
foam

AlmightyHeidi said...

Thanks foam:)

X. Dell said...

Exactly. The right thing to do. We often know what this is. Yet we don't do it because--well, it's just damn inconvenient.

It would appear that you really know what love is. I want you to show it.

AlmightyHeidi said...

ok dell....the song by foreigner?

HAhahaha. Your just full of laughs lately :)

MaQuade said...

I read all of the male bashing and was almost... ALMOST! starting to think that maybe, just MAYBE, you really *ARE* as cynical as you claim.

But you slipped up and gave yourself away with this one :) No cynical person would have so quickly thought of the biblical definition of love.

It really is an interesting footnote at the end of the definitions though. Almost as if to say, after all those other things "Oh, and by the way... it's unconditional but should NEVER be taken for granted as such."

Not keeping score... Balance :)

I like that because balance doesn't have to mean equal. Some people say a relationship should be 50-50. I don't think that's always true. Sometimes, one person may have greater need of the other for some reason, and will need to lean and be supported. And yet the other has the reward of BEING that support and feels fulfilled. Later these roles reverse due to other reasons. So- Balance.

Just my thought :)

J